Probiotics—especially those comprised of Lactobacillus and/or Bifidobacterium strains—are considered to be very safe for the generally healthy population. However, the following groups of people should consult with their healthcare professional before using probiotics.
· People who have pancreatic dysfunction
· People who have just had cardiac surgery
· People who have compromised immune systems
· Women who are pregnant and/or breastfeeding
· People who have blood in their stool
· Infants less than 6 months of age